To gain proficiency in the language of English is not easy. To write correctly is not easy. There are several rules one must keep in mind. The use of punctuation is one such rule. Punctuation is the use of marks and signs in writing to separate words into sentences, clauses, and phrases to bring out the meaning in a clarified manner.
Punctuation Flashcards For Kindergarten
Punctuation marks act as signals to readers. Depending on the mark it can indicate a pause, stop or change of tone and more in any given text. There are 13 commonly used punctuation marks. Depending on the sentence each one of these can be used in several ways.
The flashcards aim to help students understand the difference between the punctuation marks and their proper use.
- The question mark (?) – A question mark is used at the end of a sentence that is a question.
- Ellipsis (…) – An ellipsis is three periods used together that represent the omission of words. These are generally used to jump from one sentence to another.
- Colon (:) – A colon can be used to link two independent clauses or to introduce something.
- Quotation marks (” “) – Quotation marks are used to quote text, speech, or words spoken by someone else or to indicate dialogue.
- Period (.) – A period is also referred to as a full stop. It indicates the end of a sentence.
- Parenthesis ( ( ) ) – Parenthesis are used to provide more details or information.
- Apostrophe (‘) – Apostrophes have two uses. They can be used to show that a letter has been omitted or they can be used to indicate possessive or contractions.
- Commas (,) – Commas can be used for a direct address or to list items in a sentence.
- Exclamation Mark (!) – Exclamation marks are used at the end of any sentence that expresses intense emotions such as excitement, disgust, joy, or anything else.
- Semi-Colon (;) – These are used to link two closely related independent caluses.
- Hyphens (-) – Hyphens are used in compound words when two or more words are connected.
Punctuation Flashcards For Kindergarten- 1
Punctuation Flashcards For Kindergarten- 2
Punctuation Flashcards For Kindergarten- 3
Download and use these flashcards to teach your students the proper use of punctuation marks. Print these, ask the student to pick one of them, and then explain how they are used. Get started now!